Moving Forward and Upward…
Rev. Moses Louis Lambert came to us in 1934 from Bolton, Mississippi and served for 43 years. Under his leadership, the Church continued to flourish and in 1936 a new building was erected. The corner stone was laid on this new brick edifice on July 18, 1937 (pictured to the left). The work under Rev. Lambert’s leadership included not only the building of a new brick Church, but in 1963 the erection of an Education building and a Kitchen/Dining area which is located beneath the structure. In 1986, a handicap ram was installed and the Church sign was also put in place. Later, the vestibule and sanctuary were remolded. Originally, you would enter through double wooden doors (now glass-see back cover) and could only enter the sanctuary by entering the double doors to the left or right.
The baptismal pool was beneath the floor of the choir stand and where the pool is located today, was once a hallway. The entire area of the main building, as we see it today, was remodeled by our own Brother Joe Walker, Sr. between 1966 and 1967.
The current baptismal pool is located behind the Choir stand. Pictured are Rev. Wilson and a young candidate for baptism. Rev. Wilson, served as Interim at one time. Land bound by Holderby St. and Harris St. was purchased for a much needed parking lot. The house next door (to the right of the church) was purchased to be a Parsonage.
As an avid supporter of the Piedmont District, Rev. Lambert (pictured left) served as a leader in the Piedmont Tri-State Convention and served as Commissioner of Management for the District worker. He was the Chairman and Promoter of the erection of the District Camp Site (Camp Christian View). He also served as the Piedmont Tri-State District Convention Chairman of the Board of Directors. He was the first President of the Reidsville Ministerial Alliance. A retiring tribute was held in his honor at First Christian Church from June 6-12, 1977. Following Rev. Lambert’s retirement, Rev. McKenzie Matthews served one year.
Rev. Lambert was the Chairman and Promoter of the erection of the District Campsite ( Christian View). He had a dream and was part of the supervising and planning of the erection of the Campsite while generously giving his time and labor. Although he did not live to see it’s completion, one of our own the late Rev. George Hart was asked to preside over the three day Pre-Dedication Celebration of the Christian View Assembly Building (pictured below) April 26 – 28, 1989. Rev. Hart at that time, was the Pastor of Mt. Olive East in Martinsville, VA and delivered the Sunday morning sermon during the formal dedication celebration on April 30, 1989.
Rev. James F. Spencer of Winston-Salem, NC succeeded Rev. Matthews. Installation services were held for Rev. Spencer on September 9, 1979.
Rev. William Daniel McRae (pictured right with Wife Mrs. Mary McRae), a native of Robeson County in North Carolina, became the 12th Pastor of First Christian Church of Reidsville. Upon accepting the call to serve First Christian, he was installed as Pastor April 25, 1982. During his eleven years as Pastor, he focused on many issues such as budgeting, training, job descriptions, and transportation matters.